Friday, 28 December 2007

Christmas 2007

Christmas 07 7

Christmas 07 9

Christmas 07 6

Christmas 07 1

Christmas 07 2

Christmas 07 3

Christmas 07 4

I hope you all had a fabulous Christmas.

14 comments:

Greg said...

Ok, I see Moet and salmon. The turkey with bacon (oh joy) almost looked like a lobster tail at first glance. I see wonderful cheese and lovely candles. Please tell me more about whatever it is you have in that bowl!

Julia said...

That, my friend, is (or rather, was) an English trifle! Cake at the bottom (usually madeira cake or swiss roll, but I couldn't choose so had both!), soaked in madeira then topped with mixed berries, custard, whipped cream and grated chocolate. :-)

Pixie said...

I dreamt about your trifle last night, I kid you not! I love the swiss rolls- wanted to know what that was since yesterday. Everything looks fab.

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

That trifle looks amazing! I am going to have a go. I usually make it with sponge cake, fruit, jelly, custard and cream, the old fashioned way, but this sounds even better!

Julia said...

Lol, are you sure it wasn't a nightmare Pixie?

Holler, I must say up until this point I've always said I don't like trifle and the last time I had it I was a child/teen. The trifle I had then was always with jelly and usually those packet mixes. I thought I'd make one this year and I really liked it. The only thing I'd do differently next time is to use traditional custard, not a vanilla pod one which I'd bought from M&S, as it was too creamy and not yellow enough to contrast visually.

I used frozen berries by the way, and put them in frozen, they'd defrosted by the next day when we ate it.

I put a square of madeira cake in the bottom then surrounded it with the swiss roll pieces, pushed up against the side of the glass so it looked pretty.

I might also try using sherry next time.

Greg said...

Ah, it was the Swiss rolls that was throwing me off. Thanks.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I think your family was quite lucky to have such a wonderful spread for the holidays.I hope that 2008 is all that you hope for and more with many wonderful dishes to come!

Julia said...

Thank you so much Bellini! And I wish you a wonderful new year too.

Anonymous said...

The turkey looks great. My English grandmother always put bacon on her turkey as well. It isn't a common preparation in Canada though. I can remember going into the kitchen while the turkey rested and sneaking the bacon off of the bird. YUM

Julia said...

What a lovely memory Jerry. I used to sneakily pull off the meat!

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Looks like you had a wonderful Christmas. Sweet Oloroso sherry (Lustau do a very good one, if not Majestic also do a nice one for a lot less ££) would be delicious added to your trifle. We have trifle on New Years day though I'm laid up in bed with a bad back so rather hoping my husband will do the honours this year.

Rosie said...

What an amazing feast Julia!! Your family are very lucky indeed to have such an excellent cook/baker as yourself in da house!! :D

Wishing you and your family a very Happy New Year 2008!

Rosie x

Greg said...

I always go for the oyster - that tender morsel of meat on the back of the bird. I roasted a turkey last evening for a New Year's feast. Blogged it too.

Happy New Year, Julia.

Anonymous said...

Wow, the food looks great. Thanks for sharing:-)
happy new year.
X M

Related Posts with Thumbnails