Saturday, 20 January 2007

Good Things Come In Small Packages


Dinner this evening was roast poussin. I’d picked up one each for Rob and I and they’ve been sitting in the fridge since I brought them home looking small, plump and delicious.

Poussins are young chickens which are usually spatch-cocked or roasted whole and served one per person. They are tender and succulent with a delicate flavour.

It seems wonderfully decadent, having a whole chicken to yourself, even if it is a very small one. Add small, whole potatoes and carrots and you have a whole roast dinner all to yourself on one plate! Fabulous.

Lemon and Herb Poussins Wrapped in Bacon

Put slices of lemon and a few herbs, such as sprigs of thyme and rosemary, into the cavity of the poussins. Go careful with the herbs - you don't want to overpower the mild flavour of the poussins. Season the birds and place slices of streaky bacon over the breast.

Parboil some new potatoes for about 5 minutes then put them in a roasting tray with the poussins along with some whole, peeled shallots and small carrots such as chantenay carrots.

Pour a glass of white wine into the tray and drizzle some olive olive oil over the vegetables.

Roast at 200c for 40-50 minutes until everything is cooked through and the poussin juices run clear. If the vegetables need a little longer remove the poussins from the tray and turn the heat up to finish the vegetables off. Just cover the poussins with foil to keep them warm.

Make a gravy with the juices from the roasting tray by removing the excess fat and adding a little chicken stock. The flavour from the wine, shallots and lemon make this a delicious gravy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do like poussins, especially if I'm stuffing the skins with herbed cheese, then wrapping it in procuitto or bacon like you did. It does annoy me a bit that they're packaged so inefficiently though - for such a small animal they take up a load of fridge space.

Can you believe my old housemate and his girlfriend would have one of them between them for dinner!

Julia said...

ONE poussin between the two of them??? Oooh there's no way I'd share - it's mine, mine, mine!! :-)

I like the sound of the herbed cheese, I might have to try that.

Related Posts with Thumbnails