Monday, 20 August 2007

Baked Sweet Potatoes

Baked Sweet Potato

Bake these as you would white potatoes, just for a little less time - about 45 minutes, depending on their size. Prick their skins with a fork, wrap them in foil and put them in the oven at 200c. When they're cooked, slit them open and grind over lots of black pepper, add a sprinkle of sea salt and a good dollop of sour cream or cream cheese. They are very sweet and very comforting and would be great with sausages or grilled chicken on a cold and dreary night, like the ones we seem to be getting at the moment.

Baked Sweet Potato 2

11 comments:

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

They are just heavenly, aren't they?
I like them with cottage cheese!
Tasty photo!

Cynthia said...

Hi Julia, love your site. That baked sweet potato looks soooo good :)

Marie Rayner said...

I like to slice them into fat chips and toss them with olive oil, chili and garlic and then bake them in the oven until they are crisp and sweetly browned in spots. Just lovely. Americans like them all mashed up with brown sugar and butter and then frosted with melted marshmallows! I much prefer them savoury and baked, just like you have done. It's a novelty to have something that's so good for actually be so tasty!

Anonymous said...

I never did them this way.. Iw ill have to try it..I am a brown sugar/cream cheese/nutmeg freak, myself.. :)

Anonymous said...

This looks divine - especially when it's so cold outside! And love the idea of cottage cheese to go with!

Jen said...

Nice! I just had these for dinner last night. I love it when the skin bursts and caramelises.

Kristin said...

Yum! Although I admit I love these with good baked beans and cheese.
Sweet potato is one of my favourite vegetables.

Anonymous said...

I'm fond of sweet potatoe, here it's a great idea, thanks !

Abitofafoodie said...

I've just got back from holiday and am suffering slightly from post-holiday blues and a totally empty fridge. What a disastrous combination! Fortunately, I have one sweet potato and some cream cheese. I spotted your post and now know exactly what to have for supper! Pure comfort food. Thanks for the inspiration.

Julia said...

Holler, Cynthia - thanks!

Marie - the chips is a fab idea

Marye - I've never tried them the sweet way, but I can imagine they are good

Georgie - yep, perfect cold weather food!

JenJen - stop it, you're making me hungry!

Kazari-lu - oooh baked beans, that sounds fab

Naeomi, Antonia - you're very welcome, I'm pleased to have helped.

Carrie said...

I love sweet potatoes, they look great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails