Sunday, 13 April 2008

Jersey Royal Potatoes with Feta and Watercress Sauce

Jersey Royals with Feta and Watercress Sauce

Our 'In the Bag' event features flavoursome Jersey Royal potatoes and fresh, peppery watercress, both in season in the UK right now, along with feta cheese. I was initially going to make a simple salad to enjoy these great ingredients more or less untouched - and of course fresh, seasonal produce is always fabulous this way - but then I got to thinking about how else I could combine them. Feta is a strong, salty cheese and I thought it could combine well with the peppery watercress to make a good sauce to smother the potatoes in; and indeed it does.

Jersey Royal Potatoes with Feta and Watercress Sauce

Ingredients
500g Jersey Royal potatoes
100g feta cheese
100ml double cream
2 handfuls of watercress

Cook the potatoes in salted boiling water until tender.

Crumble the feta into a saucepan and pour in the double cream. Heat gently until the cheese melts, then simmer until the sauce starts to thicken.

Chop the watercress and stir it into the sauce. Cook for a few minutes more then take off the heat. You don’t need to add any seasoning; the feta is salty enough and the watercress slightly peppery.

Pour the sauce over the potatoes and serve. Alternatively serve the sauce on the side to dip the potatoes into.

Jersey Royals with Feta and Watercress Sauce 2

April’s 'In the Bag' event is running all this month, until the 30th April. Although the event features produce in season in the UK each month do feel free to substitute items with similar ones that are in season where you live. That applies to participants living in the UK too, for example if you can’t get hold of Jersey Royals feel free to use other new potatoes. All we ask is that you keep to the essence of what’s in the bag by using similar produce and trying to use at least one or two of the ingredients.

16 comments:

Abitofafoodie said...

What a great-looking potato dish. Am sure that it tasted really good. Haven't spotted Jersey Royals yet, but did pick up the first of the English asparagus today - hooray! What did you serve the potatoes alongside? Would have thought it might be nice alongside cold roast beef - the pepperyness of the watercress would go well.

Julia said...

That's a really good idea Antonia - I think they would be fabulous with roast beef. I was thinking they'd go nicely with chicken too. As it happens I just cooked them on their own earlier today and they were lovely!

The first English asparagus, how fabulous! I can't wait to get some myself.

Peter M said...

The use of feta always gets my attention, nicely photographed.

Vicky said...

Julia, that looks gorgeous. So luscious, so tempting!

Vicky xxx

Scott at Real Epicurean said...

Nice and original. I've never considered using Feta in a sauce before and now wonder why!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Those potatoes look sumptuous! I love Jersey Royals, heck all potatoes:)

I have tagged you for a six word memoir, Julia. You just have to think of six words to describe yourself to us.

GollyGumDrops said...

Silly really, but I've never thought of melting feta!

Anonymous said...

Sparrow Grass this early?? Where? Lead me to it...

MrOrph said...

Those spuds look great!
I like the sauce especially.

But, how do you get potatoes from New Jersry across the pond and I can't get them here?

M. G. Frederic said...

wow, that looks amazing...

Julia said...

Thanks for all your comments.

Wendy - thanks for the tag!

Toffeeapple - it came from a supermarket in a bag!

Mrorph - that would be the Island of Jersey off of the UK rather than across the pond! :-)

Julia said...

Thanks for all your comments.

Wendy - thanks for the tag!

Toffeeapple - it came from a supermarket in a bag!

Mrorph - that would be the Island of Jersey off of the UK rather than across the pond! :-)

Squishy said...

What an amazing sauce. I love feta. I will be doing this.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I love this dish. I am adding it to my supper menu tonight with my chicken:D

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I made these little gems on the weekend....excellente!!

Frida said...

Looks tasty. haven`t made potatoes with watercress before.

Related Posts with Thumbnails